Wednesday 4 June 2008

Kerry Manley

I'm the mother of a recovering heroin addict, Kevin. Throughout his addiction I supported him as best I could, but it went on for around 10 years, on and off, and it was very hard to deal with. I didn't have any one who understood anything about addiction to talk to, and as it was my first experience of it also. I didn't know what to expect or even hope for.

I became a volunteer with Wired In to use my personal experiences of my son's addiction, to try to help others who had loved ones going through the same. I now know that there is always hope that things will change for the better, even when that might seem impossible.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Dear K,

Thank you for your thoughts on 'what addiction means to you'. It reminds me that for every addict there is a ripple effect that connects and hurts so many people. Our charity is hoping to do work with the families of the addicts we come in to contact with in the near future, and your statement encourages me that this is so important.